Breath, James Nestor (6/10)
An exploration of the often-overlooked impact of breathing on health and well-being
Read More on Goodreads
🚀 The Book in 3 Sentences
- Dives into the often-overlooked impact of breathing on health and well-being.
- Blends ancient practices with modern research for better physical, mental, and emotional health
- Highlights the benefits of nasal breathing and breathwork techniques on stress reduction and performance
- TLDR: breathe, through your nose.
- The book makes a compelling case for the often-overlooked importance of proper breathing. The author incorporates his personal health journey / personal anecdotes, which makes it more engaging and fun. He also includes cutting-edge research and historical accounts to evidence his points and translates these into practical advice. All good things, but I found it went on a bit too long and could've been summarized in a blog post.
🥰 Who Would Like It?
- Folks interested in health, wellness, mindfulness, and self-improvement
☘️ Top Lessons
- Diaphragmatic breathing (breathing with the diaphragm, rather than shallow chest breathing) can improve oxygen intake, reduce stress, and support overall health
- Intermittent breath-holding exercises can strengthen the respiratory system, improve lung capacity, and increase tolerance to carbon dioxide
- Maintaining a proper balance of carbon dioxide in the body is essential for efficient oxygen delivery to cells and tissues. Slow, controlled breathing can help maintain this balance
- Mouth breathing can contribute to a range of health issues, while nasal breathing helps filter air, increases nitric oxide production, and optimizes oxygen absorption
💬 Top 3 Quotes
- The way we breathe is the way we think, the way we feel, and the way we act
- Breathing is the foundation of life, the conduit between our bodies and the external world
- The key to optimal breathing, and optimal health, isn't to be found in any one single breathing technique. It's to be found in the way we breathe all day and night, at rest and during activity, every moment of our lives